Dear Friends & Fans,
We are reaching out to you on behalf of the Friends for the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department K-9 Unit as their annual fundraiser draws near on October 19, 2014. This specialized group made up of two- and four-legged officers plays an extremely special role in our community. K9s and their partners are attached at the heart, not just at the end of a leash.
These dogs are highly trained and skilled. Together with their Officer partner, they are invaluable and intimidating protectors of our community. As our Valley has grown, crime has escalated, necessitating additional law enforcement presence. The capabilities that the K-9s bring to the job cannot be replicated by man or machine – truly making them heroes.
Even though these K9s are considered Police Service Dogs, there is no insurance stipulated for their long-term medical needs upon retirement; therefore the officers are solely responsible for the health and well-being of their retired companions. This has been an especially tough year with many dogs retiring and suffering from work-related disabilities and even something as unusual as a killer bee attack that injured three dogs and took the life of a fourth, all belonging to the same Officer.
We hope that we can count on you to join us in supporting these amazing men, women and their special partners who have given so much and asked for so little in return.
If you would like to make a tax deductible donation, to assist with the organization, you may do so by credit card by going to their website:
Siegfried & Roy
ABOUT FRIENDS FOR LAS VEGAS POLICE K9’S
Founded in 1990 by the members of the K9 unit, the organization is a non-profit organization which was originally formed to support the Las Vegas Police K9 Trials. The Friends For Las Vegas Police K9’s is completely independent of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department. All monies raised by its members stay with the organization and are solely used to improve the performance of the K9 unit and maintain a high quality of life for the active and retired police service dogs. With the hard work and dedication of past and present members Friends for Las Vegas Police K9’s has grown into a multi functional organization that supports many projects within the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department K9 unit.
- LVMPD Annual Police K9 Trial
- Medical and Dental care for Retired dogs
- Equipment for Training of the Police Service Dogs
- Training and Seminars for the K-9 Handlers and
their K9 partners
- Purchasing and maintenance of agility equipment for K-9 training
- Administrative cost in running the organization.
- Providing travel expense and costs associated with K9 teams participating in other K9 trials
- Funeral and burial costs for both active and retired police service dogs
- Providing needed equipment to handlers that the department does not provide
- Provide safety equipment for Police Service Dogs
- Provide signs for business owners to post, stating that Police K-9 training is done there and to warn potential criminals of the same, thus reducing Burglaries.
To raise money to provide for the above costs the organization sells tee shirts and sells fireworks during the 4th of July. In addition, since we are a non profit 501C-3 organization we accept monetary donations that are tax deductible under our tax ID# 88-0272737.